Highland Park Baptist Church is a diverse community of the forgiven, walking by faith in the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross for us.
The Highland Timeline
For more than 100 years, God has faithfully preserved the ministry of Highland Park Baptist Church.
- 1910 · A small band of Christian men and women began a Sunday school in Highland Park, Michigan.
- 1911 · 20 members organized the Baptist Society of Highland Park.
- 1913 · Society reorganized with 37 charter members and took the name Highland Park Baptist Church.
- 1914 · A building committee was appointed and a lot purchased on Ford Avenue in Highland Park.
- 1957 · 20 acres of land was purchased in Southfield, MI. Ground was broken for the chapel in June 1962, and January 20, 1963, the first unit of the new branch was dedicated.
- 1966 · The Southfield and Highland Park branches merged at the new Southfield location.
- 1968 · The present worship center was dedicated.
- 1970 · HPBC opened Southfield Christian School.
- 1972 · A new activities building was built to house the junior and senior high school students of SCS.
- 1975 · SCS received accreditation from the University of Michigan and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
- 1971 · The church purchased land that extended its property to the corner of 12 Mile and Lahser Roads.
- 1984 · A second Sunday morning worship service was added.
- 2005 · An Elder Board was elected to oversee ministries and operations.
- 2008 · Pastor Brent Slater was commissioned as the new Senior Pastor.
- 2012 · The Next Chapter Initiative brought building renovations and an updated Worship Center facility.
- Present · Strong Foundation is a three-year church-wide initiative to “strengthen our church’s physical foundation” for generations to come.
What We Believe
- We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired of God, inerrant in the original writings, and of supreme and final authority in faith and life. II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20,21
- We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, was born of the Virgin Mary and is true God and true man. Luke 1:35; John 1:1
- We believe that man was created in the image of God by His direct act and not from previously existing forms of life; that all men are descended from the historical Adam and Eve, first parents of the entire human race; that man sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death but also that spiritual death which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature and become sinners in thought, word and deed. Genesis 1:26,27; Romans 5:12
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice and that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood. I Corinthians 15:3; Romans 5:9
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate. I Corinthians 15:4,20; Luke 24:51; Book of Hebrews
- We believe in “that blessed hope” – the personal, premillennial and imminent return of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Matthew 24:27,31; I Thessalonians 4:16,17, John 14:3; Titus 2:13
- We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become the children of God; that they are thereafter indwelt by the Holy Spirit who makes possible a life of personal holiness and a walk of obedience to the will of God; and that all who are truly born again are “kept by the power of God” and, therefore, are incapable of losing their salvation. John 1:12; 3:1-5; 10:28,29; 14:17; I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19; I John 5:1
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting, conscious punishment of the lost. John 5:28,29; Acts 24:15