Our History

 From the very beginning we have been entirely about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, working toward growing disciples, worshipping God, and transforming our world through local and global outreach. Through the years we have seen a growth in diversity in culture, as well as age, and we praise Him for uniting us as one family through His death, burial, and resurrection. We are from the past, for the present, and aimed toward the future: all for and because of Christ.

Click here to read the full story

 

1910

A small band of Christian men and women began a Sunday school in Highland Park, Michigan.

 

1911

20 members organized the Baptist Society of Highland Park.

 

1913

Society reorganized with 37 charter members and took the name Highland Park Baptist Church.

 

1914

A building committee was appointed and a lot purchased on Ford Avenue in Highland Park.

  

1957

20 acres of land was purchased in Southfield, MI. Ground was broken for the chapel in June 1962, and January 20, 1963, the first unit of the new branch was dedicated.

 

1966

the Southfield and Highland Park branches merged at the new Southfield location.

 

1968

The present worship center was dedicated.

 

1970

HPBC opened Southfield Christian School.

 

1972

a new activities building was built to house the junior and senior high school students of SCS.

 

1975

SCS received accreditation from the University of Michigan and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

 

1971

The church purchased land that extended its property to the corner of 12 Mile and Lahser Roads.

 

1984

a second Sunday morning worship service was added.

 

2005

An Elder Board was elected to oversee ministries and operations. Sunday services were changed to a 9am Traditional and 11:15am Contemporary worship schedule .

 

2008

Pastor Brent Slater was commissioned as the new Senior Pastor.

 

Present

The Next Chapter Initiative is under way to begin building renovations as we seek to remain faithful and use our facility to love our neighbors, for the glory of God.